Education Insider: Federal Policy Issues
This month's survey focused on a number of recent federal policy issues, including the first round of ESEA waivers, congressional appropriations to reform the teaching profession, labor-management collaboration, and student loan interest rates. Questions included:
- Do you believe the new ESEA flexibility weakens accountability for all students? For students with disabilities and ELL students?
- Do you believe the Department of Education used a fair and rigorous process to review and approve the waivers?
- In your view did the Administration exceed its legal authority with how it designed and implemented the waiver plan?
- Should Congress appropriate funding to reform the teaching profession this year? Will Congress?
- In 2011 the Administration convened education administrators and teachers unions in Denver to discuss collaboration. In your view was this meeting substantive or just public relations? Why/Why not?