January 2013 Education Insider: Looking Ahead to 2013: Federal Policy, School Safety, and Digital Learning
This month's Education Insider is focused on a number of issues as we head into 2013, including our usual tracking measures, school safety, and digital learning. Highlights include:
- Insiders are split about whether Washington will pass school safety legislation in the wake of the Newtown tragedy, but see difficult prospects for anything ambitious.
- Insiders see more potential for digital learning initiatives at the state level than in Washington during 2013.
- A majority of Insiders do not see the Administration making inroads with teacher preparation reform in 2013.
- Insiders continue to see the SBAC Common Core assessment consortia on the wrong track and have mixed views on the PARCC consortia.
- Insiders continue to give Congress low approval ratings and remain split on the Administration. Prospects for ESEA reauthorization remain slim with even more Insiders forecasting 2015 as the earliest timeline.