June 2015 Education Insider: ESEA & HEA, State Testing, Student Data Privacy & Debt-Free College Proposals
This month, in our June Education Insider survey, we take a look at the likelihood of Congress taking action on major K-12 and higher education legislation. Insiders also weigh in on the impact federal legislation on state testing, and the future of debt-free proposals being championed by policymakers, foundations, and advocates.
The full report is available here.
Among this month's highlights:
- 50% of Insiders believe ESEA will not be reauthorized by the end of 2016. 42% believe it will happen while President Obama is in office.
- An overwhelming majority of Insiders do not believe HEA will be renewed before the end of 2016.
- 70% of Insiders believe legislation to reauthorize ESEA will allow states to use multiple assessments for annual testing.
- 54% of respondents believe student data privacy legislation will be enacted in the next 18 months.
- 96% of Insiders believe that recent proposals to streamline FAFSA will eventually be enacted. 75% believe legislation could pass that would allow borrowers to refinance their loans at a lower interest rate.